You’ve decided to take a big step, choosing weight loss surgery as an effective means of treating your obesity. You’re determined to start on the path to weight loss. You’ve decided that of all the weight management programs out there, Marina Weight Loss offers you the best probability to lose weight fast and effectively. You’ve researched surgical weight control methods and providers, and you’ve scheduled a consultation with the doctor.
One major question will quickly arise: How will I pay for my surgery?
Click on our infographic about costs related to obesity in US and find out more:
Weight Loss Surgery and Insurance Benefits
Fortunately, many insurance plans do provide for bariatric surgery, and nearly 90% of the patients at Marina Weight Loss do have coverage. The medical community recognizes obesity as a medical condition that, if treated, improves or reduces the risk of many diseases, including diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, joint pain and sleep apnea. Obesity and weight control are among the leading problematic medical conditions facing the population today, and insurance coverage makes these procedures much more affordable.
Weight Loss Surgery and Insurance Providers
Your insurance plan likely helps pay for approved treatment from a recognized bariatric surgery center. Indeed, in some states it is legally necessary. Obtaining insurance authorization can be long and complicated, but Marina Weight Loss will help you throughout the process to ensure that everything goes smoothly.
Insurance Approval Process for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
- First, you should contact our office. Our insurance specialist will need a few pieces of basic information from you in order to confirm whether you have insurance coverage for the procedure.
- The next step is to come in for a consultation with our bariatric team, including our weight loss surgeon, Dr. Jeremy Korman. During this visit, we will discuss available treatment options and confirm whether you are a candidate for bariatric surgery.
- Your insurance company may require that you meet with your primary-care doctor first to obtain a referral. If this is the case, we can work with your physician to ensure that this process goes smoothly.
- Once we have confirmed your insurance coverage and you have selected a treatment plan, we will work towards obtaining your surgical clearance and insurance authorization.
- Each patient receives a detailed list of everything they need to do, and many of the necessary steps can be completed in a single day at Marina Del Rey Hospital.
These steps vary based on your insurance plan and medical history, but generally include a cardiac clearance, psychological evaluation, and dietary consultation. Regardless of what is required by your insurance, we will work with you every step of the way until you are ready for your surgery.
Financial Assistance for Weight Loss Surgery Candidates in Los Angeles
If you do not have insurance, or if for another reason you need to seek alternative financing, Marina Weight Loss can help. There are a few ways that people commonly finance bariatric surgery on their own: these include paying with a credit card, paying with cash, and seeking financing through an agency that specializes in financing for medical procedures like this. Click here to learn more about this financing program.
Weight Loss Surgery Insurance Coverage and Reimbursement Amounts
Reimbursement varies with each individual insurance policy. The terms of your policy will determine what is covered and how much, if any, you will have to pay out of your own pocket. Consult our insurance specialist or your insurance company for more information.
For More Information …
At Marina Weight Loss, located at Marina Del Rey Hospital, the health and weight loss of our patients is our focus. If you are 50 pounds overweight, have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, call us. We provide informational seminars for Los Angeles residents to hear about their options for weight loss, tips on financing, and other related topics. Contact us at (310) 577-5540 or schedule an appointment online.
Contributor to this page:
Is Weight Loss Surgery
Right For You?
Submit your information and someone from our office will contact you shortly
Nearby Locations we serveSee all our locations
Marina Weight Loss is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. Read More...
Dr. Jeremy Korman
Dr. Korman is the medical director and chief surgeon at Marina Weight Loss. As a leading weight loss surgeon, he has performed more than 1,000 weight loss procedures. Read More...
Dr. Mona Misra
Monali Misra, M.D., is an experienced and respected bariatric surgeon on the staff of Marina Weight Loss. She has performed thousands of weight loss surgeries on patients in the United States and is a specialist in minimally invasive techniques. Read More...