About Our Weight Loss Program in Los Angeles (LA)
About our website
I am Dr. Jeremy Korman, medical director of Marina Weight Loss. Together with my colleagues, we make edits to our website: www.marinaweightloss.com. We do this with enthusiasm as we know that valuable information is of great help for our patients. We seek to offer useful information in order to help our patients learn more about the procedures at Marina Weight Loss, as well as related weight loss information like diet and nutrition, emotional support, weight related conditions and so on. Helping bariatric patients understand their condition and their options is the primary purpose of this website. Our audience, however, are not only obese individuals or bariatric patients, but the general public and even students who research obesity as an academic subject. As chief editor of our website, I welcome anyone interested in reading about weight loss and if you have any questions feel free to contact us.
About our weight loss program
Our Los Angeles based weight loss program offers a range of weight loss options, customized to each individual patient. Although weight loss and recovery time can vary between surgical procedures, each of the surgical options offered by Marina Weight Loss provides safe, reliable, long term weight loss. For a patient who is seriously obese (generally, those with a body mass index of at least 30), bariatric surgery can help. However, surgery is not a quick fix; the patient must be committed to a new lifestyle for the operation to work. But if the patient resolves to maintain healthy habits, bariatric surgery is a powerful tool that can help you lose weight fast and keep it off.
About Marina Hospital
Marina Weight Loss is located in Marina Del Rey Hospital, a boutique surgical hospital focusing on bariatric, spine, orthopedic, and minimally invasive surgery. Our surgical team and nursing and clinical staff are trained and highly experienced in the care of bariatric patients to ensure that you will have the best possible experience and outcome with your weight loss surgery.
Our team and our track record
Marina Weight Loss’ team consists of dedicated and experienced professionals, including specialist physicians, nursing staff, and nutrition and physical-therapy professionals. For each patient, we create a customized plan for weight loss that incorporates surgery preparation and recovery, as well as post-surgery diet and activity. We are dedicated to helping you reach your health and weight loss goals. We have already performed more than 1,000 bariatric procedures, establishing a successful track record of helping patients improve fitness by achieving a healthy weight.
Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
Recognizing the need to highlight weight loss surgery centers that provide exceptional service and results, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and the nonprofit Surgical Review Corporation have established the Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence designation. The rigorous approval process includes site inspections, interviews with staff members, and careful examination of medical records. Surgeons at a Center of Excellence facility must be board-certified in bariatric surgery, and must keep up with their education on current treatments. Each doctor at a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence must have performed 125 bariatric surgeries in his lifetime, and must perform 50 such operations per year; the center itself must perform 125 operations a year to retain its designation.
To summarize, the Center of Excellence designation means that a weight loss surgery facility has proven itself to meet strict standards of reliability and effectiveness. Marina Del Rey Hospital’s Marina Weight Loss is proud of its selection as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.
Surgical options include:
- Gastric bypass. The gastric bypass surgery has been improved and refined over time. The current technique, which is performed by Dr. Jeremy Korman, is called the “Roux-en-Y,” gastric bypass.— The gastric bypass surgery involves two main steps. First, the upper part of the stomach is stapled to create a small pouch, roughly the size of a golf ball. After this, a portion of the small intestine is attached to the pouch, “bypassing” a large portion of the stomach and the upper segment of the small intestine. This new stomach pouch allows patients to feel full after only a small amount of food, and because food travels a shorter distance through the small intestine, the body absorbs fewer calories.
- LAP-BAND®” (laparoscopic adjustable gastric band). The lap band is placed around the upper part of the stomach and filled with saline (salt water). This creates a new, smaller stomach pouch that can hold only a small amount of food. This new, smaller pouch fills quickly, so you feel full faster, and the food moves slowly out of the upper pouch, so you feel full longer. As a result, you eat less and lose weight. The LAP-BAND has recently been approved for patients with a BMI of 30 who have related conditions.
- Gastric sleeve. During this surgery, about three-quarters of the stomach is removed. The resulting pouch is the shape of a banana, or a tube, hence the name “sleeve gastrectomy.” This restricts the patient’s food intake and results in effective long term weight loss.
- Gastric imbrication. The gastric imbrication, also known as the gastric plication, is a new weight loss surgery showing very encouraging results. In this procedure, the stomach is folded over and stitched to itself, shrinking it to a small fraction of its original size.
- Revision procedures. Some gastric bypass patients start to regain significant amounts of weight after a few years. These patients are often treated with revisional surgery, to help them get back on track to keeping the weight off.
Get in touch
Marina Del ReyHospital offers weight loss programs for women and men. We have helped many patients achieve body transitions that they had dreamed of — and that will help them live longer, better lives. We invite you to learn more about it. Call us at (310) 577-5540 or schedule a one-on-one appointment with Dr. Jeremy Korman and begin planning your healthy future!
Marina Del Rey Hospital & Marina Weight Loss Mission
Our mission is to help our patients restore their health and help them reintegrate into society. The effective surgical weight loss options offered at Marina Weight Loss insure a healthy and long-term weight loss and patients this way are not only able to fight obesity but also can improve a series of obesity related conditions. Obesity is the leading cause of Death in the U.S. this is why Marina Hospital created Marina Weight Loss a weight loss program able to treat and prevent morbid obesity.
Contributor to this page:
Is Weight Loss Surgery
Right For You?
Submit your information and someone from our office will contact you shortly
Nearby Locations we serveSee all our locations
Marina Weight Loss is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. Read More...
Dr. Jeremy Korman
Dr. Korman is the medical director and chief surgeon at Marina Weight Loss. As a leading weight loss surgeon, he has performed more than 1,000 weight loss procedures. Read More...
Dr. Mona Misra
Monali Misra, M.D., is an experienced and respected bariatric surgeon on the staff of Marina Weight Loss. She has performed thousands of weight loss surgeries on patients in the United States and is a specialist in minimally invasive techniques. Read More...